Friday, January 07, 2005

Song : U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own

Enough of The Edge, I want to be Bono!

Thus I downloaded U2's lyrics and sang my heart out this morning.

So there I was singing in the car (yeah so it is dangerous, the traffic aint moving ye dolt!) singing my heart out to "Vertigo", then "Miracle drug", then "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" and then the next thing I know it is song no 7 "Of a man and a woman".

I was lost.


This song was written by Bono about his father. Their somewhat broken relationship and his father fight with cancer and his death. I've always like this song, it is beautiful. However, this morning having finally got hold of the lyrics it is just so different. All those feelings that I kept shut for ages and reluctantly open a tiny opening once a year reared itself unchecked.

Never have a song moved me and touched me this way, nor do I think any ever would either. I totally feel what he feels and to think that I've been singing to the song and got struck when I'm 3/4 into the song just emphasis the beautiful structure of the song. The way it build up from a gentle start before soaring to greater heights just beautiful and perfect.

The bridge which starts with "I know that we don’t talk" is the one that struck me and 3 lines later when he proclaim "sing, you're the reason that I sing" just so full of raw emotions and honesty that it just moved me so.

never have I been so touched by a song like this.

Go on now, get the lyrics, be alone somewhere and listen to this song. A great song captures and relay its message clearly and this one is flawless.


Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own

Tough, you think you’ve got the stuff
You’re telling me and anyone
You’re hard enough

You don’t have to put up a fight
You don’t have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone

And it’s you when I look in the mirror
And it’s you when I don’t pick up the phone
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

We fight all the time
You and I… that’s alright
We’re the same soul
I don’t need… I don’t need to hear you say
That if we weren’t so alike
You’d like me a whole lot more

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone

And it’s you when I look in the mirror
And it’s you when I don’t pick up the phone
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

I know that we don’t talk
I’m sick of it all
Can - you - hear - me – when – I -
Sing, you’re the reason I sing
You’re the reason why the opera is in me…

Where are we now?
I’ve got to let you know
A house still doesn’t make a home
Don’t leave me here alone...

And it’s you when I look in the mirror
And it’s you that makes it hard to let go
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Sometimes you can’t make it
The best you can do is to fake it
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiul song, speaks volumes, n sometimes, most times probably all the time one has 2 b on her own.remembering sunshine

10:02 PM  
Blogger shookmeallnightlong said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:37 AM  
Blogger shookmeallnightlong said...

Sunshine is a beautiful, magical thing. It brings out the best in every morning and brighten the day after a dark cold night.

Though he must have despaired when a big dark cloud prevented his beaming rays to reach his subject rendering him blind and helpless.

When it comes to that a great big smile from loved ones would do wonders as well. There's a song called "when I see you smile" that relays this message perfectly.

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)..when i c u smile..c`est la vie..sunshine.

3:20 PM  
Blogger shookmeallnightlong said...

ces't la vie

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

n silence is like a cancer grow...

6:51 PM  
Blogger shookmeallnightlong said...

broke the silence then and see how it go.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter